What to Expect
We aim to get you onto the water at your first session (weather permitting). We will check your individual needs, skills level and what you want to do. We have experienced volunteers who are there to assist you at all stages ashore and in our boats. You can come to three free taster sessions before deciding on Membership.
When are the next sessions?
Sessions are held on Saturdays approximately every other week from April to October (tide dependent). You are welcome to just come along to the next session – see Sailing Schedule. If you’d like to talk to someone first please contact us
What to Bring?
It is colder on the water than on land.We suggest you bring:
- several layers (eg T-shirt + sweater + waterproof jacket and trousers)
- trousers (avoid jeans as they get very heavy and chilly when wet)
- trainers, or special footwear if you use it.
- sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat
- tie on for glasses, or spare contact lens
- set of spare clothing, shoes and a towel, in case you get wet
(n.b. we have waterproof jackets & trousers and buoyancy aids which you can borrow).
Water everywhere and not a drop to drink! Sailing can make you thirsty especially in strong sun. Bring a bottle to take with you while you are sailing. There is drinking water available at SYC.
You may have to wait until a boat and skipper are ready to take you sailing and you may be on the water for some time.
- We provide tea, coffee, water and biscuits while you are on-shore
- You may want to take a simple snack (chocolate or cereal bar) that you can eat while you are sailing
- You may like to bring a snack such as sandwiches for when you get back to shore. Light lunches are also available at the SYC bar.
What happens when I arrive?
- We ask you to sign in. The sign-in sheet is in our Training Room.
- We will discuss with you how to use your taster sessions.
- You get to meet other sailors and volunteers
- The Officer on Duty will match you with boats available.
- Your boat’s skipper will meet you and introduce you to the boat.